Sometimes regular corn on the cob just doesn’t cut it, but that’s where this spicy dish steps in. Southern Corn is always irresistibly creamy, but this particular version packs quite a punch in the flavor department. It has banana peppers, bell peppers, and some pickled jalapeños for good measure and that trio sure adds a zesty bite to the sweetness of the corn. It’s above and beyond delicious! (And luckily it’s easy too.)
You simply melt some butter and cream cheese together in a skillet before mixing in the corn, peppers, and jalapeño. Fresh or frozen corn both work well here, so you can go ahead and enjoy this any time of year. Add some paprika, salt, pepper, and cheddar, and you stir that around just long enough that it’s combined and creamy. A little more cheese goes on top before the whole thing goes in the oven and gets all hot and bubbly, and then it’s serving time!
One thing we love about this recipe is that you can use it as an appetizer OR a side dish. It’s the perfect party dip paired with some tortilla chips but it also livens up dinner quite nicely. The creaminess of the cheddar and cream cheese balances out the heat a bit, but fair warning, it’ll still put some sweat on your brow. Never fear, you can always adjust the amounts of banana peppers and jalapeños if you need to!
Spicy Southern Corn
Serves 4; 30 minutes
- 3 1/2 cups corn
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 banana peppers, diced
- 3-4 tablespoons picked jalapeños, diced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, combine butter and cream cheese, stirring until creamy and smooth.
- Add corn, bell pepper, banana pepper, and pickled jalapeños. Add paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese until fully melted.
- Top with remaining cheddar and bake until hot and bubbly, about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!