Do you have a birthday party or baby shower coming up? Looking to serve something a little whimsical and nostalgic at the same time? Then look no further than this wonderful recipe based on one of our favorite treats from when we were kids: a Shirley Temple cake. Yes! The much-beloved cherry colored soda drink has been transformed into an amazingly pink, moist and delicious cake!
We all know that to make a Shirley Temple we need maraschino cherries and lemon-lime soda. Cherries help with color and flavor while, at least in the cake version, the soda bubbles help to keep the cake moist and delicious. A slightly pink cake pops out of the oven and cools completely before we top it with a pretty pink frosting. To serve, we add a dollop of whipped cream and of course top it off with a maraschino cherry. What a delightfully fun spin on one of our favorite childhood drinks.
We’d completely forgotten about this delicious non-alcoholic drink until we stumbled across this CAKE recipe and couldn’t believe how fun it sounded. A favorite soda drink turned into a fun cake sounds like the perfect treat for a baby shower or birthday party. It’s just the right amount of fun and nostalgia, served with a cherry on top!
Shirley Temple Cake
1 hour to prepare serves 10-12
- 1 (16 oz) box white cake mix
- 1 ¼ cup cherry flavored lemon-lime soda
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ sticks cold butter, cubed
- Whipped cream and maraschino cherries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine cake mix, vegetable oil, egg whites, and cherry lemon-lime soda. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 25-35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, mix powdered sugar, cherry juice, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Slowly add butter and beat until mixture is smooth and fluffy. Spread frosting over cooled cake.
- To serve, add a dollop of whipped cream and top with a maraschino cherry.