A one pan breakfast extravaganza – and you can cook it on the grill!
This Bacon & Eggs Skillet Pie is a little unconventional and a whole lot delicious. It’s got some breakfast classics – like eggs and bacon – and a not so classic topping that we wouldn’t mind becoming a breakfast staple – potato chips! The whole thing comes together in one skillet (on the barbecue, no less). It’s just all kinds of awesome.
Our favorite thing might be the beautiful little bacon rolls – they almost look like bacon roses. They’re surrounded by soft eggs and topped with a hearty amount of cheese and crunch. It’s a lot of deliciousness for one skillet.
We’ve made ours on the grill, but it’s totally possible to do this in the oven. You’ll just want to partially cook the bacon in a pan over medium-low heat and follow the rest of the instructions using an oven heated to 300°F. No matter how you cook it, this is one breakfast skillet you have to try!
Bacon and Eggs Skillet Pie
Serves 4-6; 30min
- 2 lbs bacon
- 18-24 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cups potato chips
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Green onions, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat half of the barbecue to medium heat. Once hot, grill bacon until partially cooked and not crispy.
- Remove bacon and let cool to the touch. Roll two or three strips up together and arrange in a large cast-iron skillet. Pour vegetable oil between the bacon rolls to ensure eggs don’t stick.
- Crack eggs in between bacon rolls and top with diced onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- With the grill at 275-300°F, place the cast-iron skillet on the side where the burner is off (indirect heat). Close the lid and cook, covered, until eggs are almost finished. Halfway through cooking, rotate pan so it cooks evenly.
- Meanwhile, crush up the potato chips and mix them with the cheese. When eggs are nearly finished, spread chip-cheese mixture evenly over the top. Close the lid and let cook until everything has cooked through and cheese has melted.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with green onions for serving, if desired. Enjoy!