Brownies combine the best of both cakes and bars, with the chewy texture that keeps up coming back for more. Add in a luscious frosting and you’ve really got something special. But, if you’re looking to take your brownie game a step above, try these root beer float brownies.
There’s root beer in both the batter and the frosting, which gives these brownies a very unique and irresistible flavor. Not only are these brownies rich in flavor, but the frosting is divine, with just the right amount of sweetness and creaminess- just like a good root beer float.
The batter includes flour, eggs, cocoa, brown and white sugars, and vanilla. But, then the batter gets a boost from not only from root beer, but also from melted butter and melted semi-sweet chocolate chips. All these ingredients together create a more complex brownie with a lovely flavor profile.
Fro this recipe you can use any kind of root beer you enjoy drinking. Or you can kick up the flavor by using a bottle of craft style root beer. These drinks often have a deeper flavor and less sugar, making them ideal for this application.
Once these brownies have been baked for about 25 minutes (not longer as you want them only just set for the best texture) they need to cool before you frost them. The frosting consists of powdered sugar, more root beer, and butter for a root beer-y buttercream style frosting.
Once the icing is on cut into 2-inch square brownies and enjoy a decadent delight that combines the flavors of the brownies we crave with the root beer floats we grew up on. It’s a really fun way to get your brownie fix.
Root Beer Float Brownies
16-20 small brownies
30m prep time
30m cook time
Vegetarian diet suitable
For the brownies:
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 8 oz. root beer of your choice
- 2 1/ 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup root beer, no foam
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 9×9 baking dish.
- Melt butter, white chocolate, and semisweet chocolate together using a double boiler or in 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring in between cooking. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a separate, large bowl using an electric mixer combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Mix for about 1 minute. Add chocolate mixture to sugar mixture a little at a time. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients and root beer to chocolate mixture alternately, in small amounts. Wet, dry, wet, and so on. Blend until combined.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 25 minutes or until batter is just set. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting combine softened butter and powdered sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer. Slowly add root beer until frosting consistency is reached. Spread on cooled brownies and cut into 2-inch squares.
Recipe adapted from Cookies and Cups.