We never thought to do this before, but are so glad we did!
We don’t know about you, but rice is one of those things that really doesn’t get any better with time (unless we’re talking stir-fry), so it’s great to have a fool-proof recipe on hand that can turn your rice into something awesome. These fried rice cakes will abolish any connotation you may have had with those bland, dried out “snacks” that you reach for when there’s nothing left in the pantry to munch on; cheesy and deliciously crispy, this recipe repurposes leftover rice into something you’ll look actually look forward to eating!
Cheesy Parmesan Rice Cakes
Serves 6 30 minutes
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, grated
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- vegetable oil, for frying
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 1-2 inches of vegetable oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. (Oil is hot enough when water droplets sizzle when dropped into the oil.)
- In a large bowl, combine cooked rice with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Add eggs, then mix in green onions, parsley and red pepper.
- Stir in baking powder, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is incorporated and combined.
- Using a spoon or small ice cream scoop, work in batches and drop 1-2 tablespoons rice mixture into hot oil. Fry for 30-45 seconds per side, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and serve immediately. Enjoy!