These bad boys are so good…it’s hard to resist going back for second (ok, more like thirds)!
It’s impossible to not like cookies, right? That’s how it seems whenever we’re faced with a cookie, regardless of whether it’s new to us or a familiar standby. So, in the cookie-loving spirit of things, we decided to whip up a batch of bright, summery cookies that are light and refreshing and perfectly tart…what we came up with were these adorable lemon cream cheese cookies.
Lemon is one of our favorite flavors to cook/bake with – there are so many ways to use it! – and lends itself really well to sweets, since it keeps them from being cloying. Same goes for the surprising addition of cream cheese, as it adds the slightest bit of tang that rounds out these cookies and keeps us coming back for more. If the thought of lemon and cream cheese doesn’t draw you in, all you have to do is take a look at how cute these babies are! Make a batch and watch ‘em disappear…we can’t get enough!
Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies
Serves 18-24 40 minutes active; 1+ hours inactive
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth, then mix in sugar and beat until creamy.
- Mix in egg, then vanilla extract, and beat until fluffy and lightened in color. 5-6 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, lemon zest, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Alternate between adding the flour mixture and the lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Mix until a rough dough comes together. If needed, add a little more flour so dough isn’t sticky.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until chilled.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and use a tablespoon or ice cream scoop to scoop cookie dough. Roll dough between your hands to create balls, then transfer to lined baking sheets.
- Place baking sheets in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are just starting to brown and pull away from baking sheet.
- Remove cookies from oven and let cool completely.
- To make icing: whisk together powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice until smooth. Add more or less powdered sugar depending on how thick you want your icing.
- Once cookies are cool, drizzle icing over them and let set before serving.
Recipe adapted from Swanky Recipes