One of my favorite things to do with a surplus of veggies is to quickly fry up some fritters. Whether you’ve got extra broccoli, zucchini, or corn, it’s the perfect way to use an ingredient in an exciting way when you’ve already exhausted every other option. And while I can’t say I have ever run into the problem of having too much fresh corn on my hands (my family loves the stuff), these Jalapeño Cheddar Corn Fritters are so good that it’s worth running to the store to buy a few ears with the express purpose of making them. They’re sweet and crispy with a little kick and they’re so simple to whip up.
I am never really sure if a fritter counts as a starter, a snack, or a side, but I like to treat them as a light meal when I don’t feel like planning out a bunch of components. Add a side salad and you’ve got a totally satisfying dinner! And a quick one at that.
To make these you just have to mix together some corn kernels with green onion, jalapeño, cheddar cheese, and a binder of milk, eggs, and flour. You just scoop that mixture out into some hot oil and after about five minutes in the pan you have some crisp deliciousness to dig into.
These aren’t bready, but they’re not all corn either. They walk a fine line between being substantial and fluffy but what you’ll mostly be thinking about is the flavorful combination of the corn, cheddar, and jalapeños.
Jalapeño Cheddar Corn Fritters
5m prep time
10m cook time
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Sour cream, for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together corn, green onion, and jalapeño. Add flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk together. Add to corn mixture. Fold together and fold in cheddar cheese.
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, drop batter by the 1/4 cup into skillet. Flatten lightly into patties and cook until deep golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on second side, another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to cool. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Lemon Tree Dwelling.