The holiday season is a time to indulge and nothing drives that idea home like a warm boozy drink! From mulled wine to spiked hot cocoa, there are so many sweet and sinful drink recipes out there to choose from. But my all-time favorite holiday indulgence? Hot Buttered Rum. I grew up on the mocktail version at my grandparent’s Christmas parties, and I’ve only grown to love it more as an adult (it might be the splash of rum!).
If you’ve never had it, let me tell you… you’re in for a treat! It’s sweet, creamy, and oh so rich. The buttery texture makes it far too easy to sip down in record time. Call me crazy, but I also like to load my mug up with extra whipped cream and cinnamon. In my opinion, there’s no such thing as too much of a good thing!
The best part about this drink is that you can make up the batter ahead of time and it will keep in the freezer for up to three months. Make up a big batch and fix yourself a mug whenever the craving strikes! Having a holiday party? All your guests will have to do is mix a portion into their cups of hot water and top it off with rum. Easy peasy!
Hot Buttered Rum Mix
40 prepared drinks
10m prep time
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pint vanilla cream, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Rum for serving
- 1 1/2 tablespoons frozen rum mix
- 1 oz dark rum
- 8 oz hot water
- In a large saucepan, heat butter until fully melted.
- Stir in the brown sugar and powdered sugar until dissolved and smooth.
- Remove pan from heat and mix in the ice cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until the mixture reaches an even consistency.
- Transfer mixture into storage containers and freezer until ready to serve.
- Combine rum mix, rum, and hot water in mug and serve hot! Top with whipped cream and cinnamon if desired.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com