When it comes to dinner, it’s no secret we love a tasty meal that comes together with minimal effort – there are plenty of dishes we put lots of time and effort into, and are always pleased with the results, but there are definitely times when we don’t have the time or energy and need to rely on tried-and-true recipes that will deliver every time. These homestyle pork chops have a deliciously thick gravy that goes perfectly with the meat, so all you have to do is throw together some potatoes or veggies and you’ve got a full meal.
All right, so pork chops, flour and chicken broth are really the crux of what you need here, but it’s all about the seasonings that make this recipe special. Pork chops can take on just about any flavor, but we went with mustard powder, garlic and onion powders, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper, naturally. You’re going to season the flour, dredge the chops, then get a nice sear on them for good color and flavor. Then, the remaining seasoned flour and chicken broth get whisked together and added to the slow cook so it can cook and thicken up with the pork chops. This stuff is so good!
Depending on how you like the thickness of your gravy, you may want to make a little cornstarch and water slurry to add to the slow cooker after it’s cooked for about an hour and 30 minutes, but it’s just as yummy without that, so it’s totally up to you. With the pork chops cooking in the thick sauce, they stay nice and juicy – no dried out pork for us! – so then you have an amazing dinner that takes 15 minutes to prep, leaving you with plenty of time to put your feet up while it continues cooking in the slow cooker! Trust us, you’ll want to make these pork chops….
Homestyle Pork Chops
Serves 4; 15 minutes active; 2 hours inactive
- 4-6 boneless pork chops
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, optional
- 2 tablespoons water, optional
- Lightly grease slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- In a shallow bowl or dish, whisk together flour, mustard powder, salt and pepper, garlic powder and onion powders, and Italian seasoning, if using.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dredge pork chops in seasoned flour mixture and sear on both sides until browned.
- Whisk chicken broth into remaining flour mixture, stirring until smooth, then pour into greased slow cooker.
- Add browned pork chops, cover and cook on high for 2 1/2-3 hours, or until cooked through.