Not a quiche, not a custard… but a cheesy masterpiece all its own.
Homemade Cheese Pie. It’s not a quiche, my friends! Nor is it a custard. Rather, it’s a cheesy concoction all its own. It’s creamy and soft, with a tender bite of cheddar and all of the comfort you can hope for out of a baking dish. It’s a cheese-filled, crowd-pleasing type of bake that’s perfect when you’re looking for something other than your usual casserole.
The ingredient list really couldn’t be simpler. You beat a couple of eggs, and then whisk in some milk and flour, and then add in some shredded cheese, and season it up before popping it in the oven. While we like mozzarella for its creaminess and cheddar for its tang, you can really use any cheese that your heart desires. Gouda, provolone, goat, Swiss, pepperjack… the sky’s the limit.
While we like it for breakfast in particular, it’s a quick bake that works any time of day. We’ve never heard complaints when we’ve served it for dinner, and lunch is certainly in its wheelhouse as well. It’s the perfect recipe to turn to when you’re short on time, ideas, or ingredients. It’s that kind of last minute meal that always satisfies, and if you ask us, you can never have enough of those options in your back pocket.
Serves 4-6; 45 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate or baking dish and set aside.
- Add the eggs to a medium bowl and beat with a whisk. Add milk, and then flour, and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in all of the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Adapted from The Bossy Kitchen.