We make these cookies every year…it’s just not the holidays without them!
It’s easy to get carried away with new and involved recipes to try out during the holidays, but it seems to be that it’s always the simple, classic ones we keep coming back to. That’s not to say we don’t like to experiment with impressive recipes to wow our friends and family, but we’ve found that it’s always those traditional recipes that bring back great memories and a smile to our face. For example, these classic sugar cookies!
Sugar cookie recipes are a dime a dozen, but these are our very favorite. They have the perfect blend of sweetness and buttery goodness. And, of course, they’re absolutely adorable when you use seasonal cookie cutters for a little festive holiday spirit. We’ve been making this recipe for years and hope you love it as much as we do!
Classic Holiday Sugar Cookies
Makes 3 dozen; 30min
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- holiday cookie cutters
- In a large bowl or mixer cream together butter and sugar until fluffy and lightened in color. 3-4 minutes.
- One at a time, beat in eggs, then add in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Divide dough in half and shape into 2 discs. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 350ºF and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll each disc out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Use holiday cookie cutters to form cookies and transfer to lined baking sheets.
- Place baking sheets in oven and bake for 7-9 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes