We love springtime because it inspires us to transition from our casserole and trusty slow cooker meals and move towards some lighter dishes. We’ve got a recipe here that is big on flavor and super delicious. Sun-dried tomatoes are a great way to add an unexpected heartiness to a dish; they’re slightly sweet and chewy, with a great flavor profile that works well with lighter proteins, like chicken. And when everything’s made in one skillet, well, that’s enough to sell me on any dish!
This reminds us of one of our favorite Italian dinners: chicken caprese. We love the combination mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil set atop grilled or roasted chicken, and it’s an easy meal to put together too. The same is true for this dish, and with a few twists on that classic recipe to make it a little more interesting. We’ve replaced Roma tomatoes with rich and slightly sweet sun-dried tomatoes, and goat cheese instead of mozzarella. We’ve also worked a little magic to create a light creamy sauce. Any opportunity to add a splash of citrus to a dish we definitely take advantage of…and the hint of lemon here really ups the level of freshness.
Chicken with sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese is simple enough for a weeknight dinner, but elegant enough for entertaining. For a meal that takes hardly any time to cook, it certainly suggests otherwise; with flavors like this, everyone will think you’ve spent hours when really only minutes have passed. When food looks and tastes this good, we feel like we’re doing A-OK! It’s hard to imagine getting much simpler than this – and a one skillet meal is just what we’re looking for when it comes to food done right: it’s easy to make, easy to clean up, and definitely easy to eat!
Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Skillet
30 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast or thighs
- ¼ cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 oz) jar sun dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 (6 oz) package crumbled goat cheese
- 1 stick unsalted butter, divided (2 tablespoons; 6 tablespoons)
- ½ cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over chicken, season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet on medium high, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken and cook until cooked through and browned on both sides (4 minutes per side).
- Remove chicken from skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add 2 tablespoons butter. Once melted, add diced onion, sautéd until translucent. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add broth and lemon juice, lower heat and bring to a simmer.
- Once sauce has reduced slightly, begin adding remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring to incorporate after each.
- Toss sun dried tomatoes into skillet and stir until warmed through.
- Return chicken to skillet and top with goat cheese. Cover until melted, then top with basil, serve hot and and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Gluten Free With LB