When I’m looking to do taco night a little differently, I love this Fold Over Cream Cheese Tortilla Bake. It’s not quite a taco, it’s not quite a quesadilla, it’s just a Mexican-inspired bake that’s a little unique and a lot delicious. Each tortilla is filled with a simple spread of cream cheese and green chiles and baked in a zesty, meaty sauce. It’s easy, it’s creamy, it’s cheesy – it’s everything you want from comfort food!
The sauce is made up of ground beef and onions that are simmered in a mixture of enchilada sauce, crushed tomatoes, and some taco seasoning. That means it’s even more flavorful than your average enchilada sauce since it has an extra kick of tomato and spice.
The tortillas themselves couldn’t be simpler. You just mix together some cream cheese with a can of green chiles and spread a bit on each tortilla before you fold each one up and tuck it into a baking dish.
That zesty sauce goes on the bottom and over the top where it’s joined by a generous helping of Monterey Jack.
And then it all bakes just long enough for everything to heat through. The cream cheese gets soft and creamy, the sauce gets bubbly, the cheese gets nice and melty. It’s a quick bake, but it’s an incredibly yummy one which makes it the perfect way to shake up your dinner routine a bit.
Fold Over Cream Cheese Tortilla Bake
10m prep time
20m cook time
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 (14.5 oz each) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 12 6-inch flour tortillas
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the meat sauce:
- In a large skillet, brown beef and onion until beef is cooked through.
- Stir in tomatoes, enchilada sauce and taco seasoning. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese and green chiles. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the meat sauce into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Spread each warm tortilla with cream cheese mixture, fold in half, and arrange folded tortillas over meat sauce. It's okay if tortillas overlap.
- Spoon remaining meat sauce over the top, cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes more. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.