Throw these ingredients into a pot and you’ll have an amazing weeknight dinner in minutes!
We’ve got a great shortcut dinner that is also a crowd pleaser. Grab a rotisserie chicken and red bell pepper at the grocery store, then reach into the pantry for rice and beans and you’ll whip up a super delicious meal in virtually no time! What we love about this is not just its ease of cooking but the great flavor from the sweet corn and the little kick that comes with the taco seasoning. When you’re looking for a way to jazz up weeknight dinners, this is a great go-to recipe that is sure to become a family favorite.
Something that we love in this is all of the healthy stuff we’re able to throw in and no one seems to notice! Beans and corn offer great texture but also are a great source of fiber; red peppers are high in Vitamin C; brown rice offers whole grain, while the chicken is a source of protein. We love to top this with freshness and cilantro offers just what we’re looking for, but if you don’t like cilantro, then use chopped green onions instead or diced avocado for added health benefit. This is really a powerhouse meal: it’s tasty, super satisfying, and super easy to prepare! Grab yourself a bowl and dig in!
Mexican Fried Rice
Serves 4-6 servings; 40 minutes
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, diced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (recommended: instant rice)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can sweet corn, rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained (dice fresh Roma tomatoes, if desired)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 (1 oz) package taco seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cilantro, chopped
- Sour cream (optional)
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, sauté garlic in olive oil until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until just softened.
- Next, add diced chicken and taco seasoning, stirring to combine, about 3-5 minutes.
- Black beans, corn, and fire roasted tomatoes are next into the saucepan. Give ingredients a good stir then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally, add brown rice and stir, allowing all of the ingredients to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes to bring all of the ingredients and flavor together.
- Scoop into a bowl and garnish with cilantro and, if desired, a dollop of sour cream.
Recipe adapted from Eat Healthy Eat Happy