Nothing says summer quite like a peach, and as much as we love a peach on its own, we can’t help but think of all the different ways we can use fresh peaches to make something delicious. Pie fillings to preserves, sweet chunks in fresh ice cream or warmed and caramelized on a grill, peaches have a wide range of delicious possibilities. Perhaps one of our most favorite combinations is peaches and cream; who can resist a sweet peach and cool cream?!?
Our custard peach pie is a variation on the peaches and cream theme. Fresh peaches meet with a creamy custard that is topped with an amazing crumble. To save time, we use a store bought pie crust, but when we can, we love a scratch-made crust. With that step out of the way, we can focus our attention on the filling: sliced peaches covered in a custard made with Greek yogurt. We add a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg to the mix for a spicy warmth that adds a little something special to the pie. A little time in the oven and out pops a sweet and creamy pie that is an absolute slice of heaven.
With so many ways to enjoy peaches, it’s hard to pick just one. Our custard peach pie combines our favorite desserts (cobbler and pie) with one of the summertime’s best fruits (peaches). The pie is creamy with a nice crumbly topping for added texture. Of course, this dessert is perfect on its own, but we can’t resist adding a scoop of cool vanilla ice cream or a dollop of fresh whipped cream. A pie like this is meant to be shared, so invite family and friends over to enjoy a sweet slice of pie –it’s peachy keen!
Custard Peach Pie
1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh peaches (5-6 peaches), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 425º F and gently place pie crust in the bottom of pie dish. Crimp the edges as desired.
- Arrange peach slices in circles in the bottom of pie crust, filling the bottom of pie dish.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, egg yolks, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg until combined, then pour mixture over peaches.
- Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil.
- Place pie dish in oven and bake for 30-32 minutes, or until center is almost set.
- While pie is baking, make topping by whisking together 1/3 cup flour with 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and 1 pinch salt, then cut butter into mixture until crumbly.
- Once pie is out of oven, sprinkle streusel topping over the pie and return to oven for 15 minutes, or until streusel is lightly browned and pie is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Christina's Cucina