On a cold night, there’s nothing more comforting than a big pot of soup simmering on the stove top at dinnertime. This red pepper and potato stew is one of our favorites. We can throw it together with just a few basic ingredients, it’s incredibly satisfying, and the taste is phenomenal.
This soup is chock-full of hardy potatoes, tender carrots and flavorful red peppers for a combination that’s as nourishing as it is filling. Everything simmers in an aromatic broth that is seasoned with savory herbs and bay leaves. This veggie stew smells delicious as it’s cooking and tastes even better. With this recipe in our collection, we’re looking forward to winter!
Red Pepper, Potato, and Veggie Soup
45 minutes to prepare 6 to 8
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups low-sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen green beans
- Warm olive oil over medium heat in large stock pot or Dutch oven. Sauté onion, red peppers and carrots 4 to 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth, tomato paste and potatoes. Season with thyme, celery seed, parsley flakes, salt and pepper. Add bay leaves and bring soup to a boil. Stir in green beans. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 30 to 35 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Remove bay leaves and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy