Nothing goes better with a good cup of coffee than a delicious, cinnamon-flavored crumb cake. I made a batch of this simple treat to share with my coworkers last week…it disappeared faster than the coffee! A slice (or two) goes great with a cup of coffee or tea, and who can resist the generous layer of sweet, crumbly streusel on top? I know I can’t!
It’s the yummiest crumb cake ever (in our humble opinion) and the rest of the office agrees! One of the gals in marketing plans to serve it at her family brunch next weekend, but this cake is so easy to make, there’s no reason to wait for a special occasion to enjoy it. A cake like this is great for just about any occasion, from a family brunch to a school bake sale or to take along to book club, our cinnamon crumb cake is perfect at any time!
Cinnamon Crumb Cake
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-by-8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Sift 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Beat 1/3 cup softened butter with granulated sugar in large mixing bowl. Add egg and sour cream. Slowly mix in half of dry ingredients.
- Add milk and vanilla. Fold in remaining dry ingredients. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Combine 2 cups flour, brown sugar and cinnamon with 1 cup melted butter to form crumb topping. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove cake from pan to cool before serving.
Recipe adapted from Taste And Tell Blog