It’s really a match made in heaven.
Retro dishes are making a comeback, so we were really excited when we heard about this nostalgic coleslaw dish. The acidic pineapples are balanced by sweet apples and marshmallows, and it’s all held together with a bright mayonnaise dressing that has just the right balance of tart and sweet. It’s really a match made in heaven.
We like to serve this delightful side with simple meats like grilled chicken or baked ham so the flavors really shine. It only takes five minutes to whip this up, but the real “work” is done in the refrigerator. Give this salad a little time to really build up its flavor by chilling in the refrigerator before serving. Try out this sweet and savory coleslaw that both kids and adults love, and don’t be afraid to add extra marshmallows – we won’t tell.
Apple Pineapple Marshmallow Coleslaw
- 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and juices reserved
- 1 large apple, cored and chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place pineapple and apple chunks in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Stir together mayo, 1 tablespoon pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine cabbage, celery, and marshmallows with pineapple chunks and diced apple. Pour in dressing and stir to coat. Cover tightly and chill 1-2 hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from Cinnamon, Spice, and Everything Nice