We can’t get enough of BBQ chicken. It’s a staple recipe during the summertime and it would be hard to imagine a 4th of July without it. But, for the rest of the year (or when you don’t feel like getting the grill fired up) it’s nice to be able to make this dish inside and with minimal effort. This is where the Crock Pot comes in really handy.
For this recipe all you have to do is to dump the ingredients into the slow cooker and then set the temperature. That’s it. It literally couldn’t be easier to make this flavorful chicken. The main component of the rich and savory taste is BBQ sauce and you can use whichever brand or flavor is your favorite.
Once you add the chicken, oil, BBQ sauce, onion, garlic, and spices then it’s time for the ingredient that really sets this recipe apart from others. You’ll need 1 cup of root beer for this chicken. Much like glazing a ham in soda brings a rich flavor to the meat, root beer really adds complexity to the chicken.
You can use any kind of root beer you’d like, but the more expensive “craft” root beers will a lend lot more flavor in the finished product. The spices and flavorings in root beer add a lot to the chicken, which famously takes on flavors well. Plus the added sweetness of the root beer creates a sweeter chicken in almost a glaze type of sauce.
As with other slow cooker recipes you can either set this to high for 2 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. The lower temp and longer cooking time usually results in more tender meat with more flavor, so it’s worth it if you have the extra time to go the slow route here.
Once it’s cooked, shred the chicken using two forks. Serve on buns with coleslaw and pickles for a real Southern meal. Or serve with a baked potato and a salad. However you choose to dish up this easy recipe you’ll be thrilled with the tender texture and lively flavor of this Crock Pot root beer chicken.
Crock Pot Root Beer Chicken
15m prep time
7h cook time
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup root beer
- Place chicken in Crock Pot. Pour in oil and flip chicken to coat. Cover with barbecue sauce.
- Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper over the chicken. Pour in root beer and cover with lid.
- Cook for 2 hours on high or for 6-7 hours on low. Using two forks shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Serve on buns with coleslaw, pickles, or other fixins of your choice.
Recipe adapted from Pilsbury.