When it comes to dessert, I’m generally more of a chocolate fan than anything else. There are a few exceptions to that rule, and these Creamy Lemon Crumb bars sure made my top 5 favorite non-chocolate dessert list!
You’re probably familiar with classic lemon bars with a graham cracker crust, sweet yet tart lemon filling, and typically a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top. While those are delicious on their own, this recipe takes things to the next level.
For starters, the crust consists of rolled oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar, along with a few other ingredients. That’s already an upgrade in my opinion!
But wait, there’s more! The creamy filling in these bars is made up of lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolks, and (drum roll please): sweetened condensed milk. This decadent layer is topped with more of the oat and brown sugar mixture, which balances out the sweetness and makes for one delicious dessert.
I could go on and on about the taste, texture, and overall amazingness of these creamy lemon bars, but I’ll switch gears and talk about how easy this dessert is to make! Start by combining flour, oats, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda in a large bowl. Then, mix in sugar and light brown sugar.
In a separate bowl, stir together vanilla and melted butter, then add to the dry ingredients. Once combined, press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
While the crust is baking, mix together condensed milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and egg yolks. When the crust is done baking, pour the lemon mixture on top. Bake for an additional 20-22 minutes and you’re all done! Get the full recipe and ingredient list below!
Creamy Lemon Crumb Bars
Creamy lemon bars to feed a crowd!
Makes 12 bars; 15 minutes to prepare, 40 minutes cook time
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- Combine flour, oats, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix in sugar and light brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, stir together vanilla and melted butter, then add to the dry ingredients.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, mix together condensed milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and egg yolks. When the crust is done baking, pour the lemon mixture on top.
- Crumble the remaining half of the oat mixture on top of the lemon layer evenly and bake for an additional 20-22 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Dinner Then Dessert