What better way to warm up than with a cup or bowl of this savory soup.
We absolutely love a good chicken and rice soup. It is just so warm, satisfying, and oh-so-comforting. Each bite is filled with amazing flavor that is, of course, supplemented by hearty rice and tender chicken. And this broth is – on its own – something to enjoy. What we especially love in here are the mushrooms because they help to add great texture and flavor to the soup. We like to make a big pot of this on the weekend and enjoy it for as many days as possible. A rich and flavorful bowl of our chicken soup with mushrooms and rice is one of our absolute favorite ways to finish the day.
A soup like this can be made in a matter of minutes and it’s so much better than any canned version we might pick up at the store. In a scratch-made soup, we can control all of the ingredients, crafting a final product that fits our tastes and pleases the family. So, into the pot goes some rice, shredded chicken, sautéed vegetables and your favorite broth, be it homemade or store bought. Fresh herbs will make a soup like this sing, and that’s why we love-love-love the use of fresh thyme over dried. It makes a real difference for the overall flavor experience and adds a nice pop of bright color to the broth.
You know a bowl of soup is good when at the end all you hear is a clattering of spoons against an empty bowl. That’s the ultimate compliment! A soup like this is perfect when served by the cup for an afternoon lunch or by the bowl for a hearty dinner. And it tastes even better the next day! Add a little more broth, if needed, and reheat then get ready to enjoy another helping of this absolutely marvelous soup. Enjoy!
Chicken Rice and Mushroom Soup
Serves 6; 40 minutes
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups long grain rice, cooked per instructions
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Sauté onion, carrot, and celery over medium-high heat until onions just begin to caramelize. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, and 1 tablespoon butter and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup flour over vegetables and stir until flour has cooked through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour 6 cups of chicken broth into the pot, stirring to scrape up any bits of flavor from the bottom of the pot.
- Add shredded chicken and the cooked rice to the stock pot. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Bring soup to a low boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and add more salt and pepper, to taste.
Recipe adapted from For the Love of Cooking.