Somehow, our mom always seemed to find a way to put comforting meals like this one on the table and even on a busy weeknight, supper was suddenly served. We would often gather around the table at home, taking a break from all those chores and schoolwork and could forget the cares of the world- focusing on family over a hot, satisfying meal like this one. This slow cooker chicken casserole reminds us of a true classic and we’re so happy to share that tradition now with our families, creating the same fond memories we have! Thankfully, we’ve created a few shortcuts…
Turning to your trusty slow cooker is a wonderful solution that really blends all the ingredients together so well for maximizing flavor. It’s also no accident that it tastes even better the next day.
Who doesn’t love leftovers and this dish reheats in a snap for a quick lunch or anytime when you just don’t have it in you to cook, but still need to feed your family something hearty and delicious.
While it might be a few simple steps to make this dish, we packed in plenty of ingredients to fill you up and keep you full, along with adding in broccoli for some added nutrients!
The creamy, cheesiness will have you hooked, and the chicken, broccoli and rice mean you’ve got a whole meal all wrapped up into one dish – who says making dinner has to be a chore?? A touch of sour cream and savory chicken broth creates a creamy sauce over three hours that makes your chicken and rice moist, bringing back good taste and comforting tradition.
Chicken and Rice Broccoli Casserole
Serves: 6; 20 minutes active; 4+ hours inactive
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup long grain brown rice, rinsed and drained (Not quick-cooking or instant)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups (1 pound) broccoli florets
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place chopped onion and rinsed rice in slow cooker, then place chicken on top.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, then add garlic powder and thyme.
- Pour chicken broth over chicken onion rice mixture, making sure to submerge rice so it cooks evenly.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until rice has absorbed almost all liquid and chicken is cooked through.
- Optional: transfer chicken to a cutting surface and shred. Return to slow cooker.
- Place broccoli in a microwaveable bowl along with 1 inch of water. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure to seal tightly, and microwave for 4-5 minutes, or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Stir broccoli into chicken rice mixture.
- Add sour cream and parmesan cheese to slow cooker and stir until incorporated. Top with cheddar cheese, then stir until combined.
- Transfer to serving bowls and serve hot.