Stuffed chicken breasts are one of my newest favorites for the dinner table. They look (and taste) impressive, but don’t take much more work than just making plain chicken breasts. Plus, the flavor is unbeatable. These broccoli cheese stuffed chicken breasts combine the classic flavors of cheddar and broccoli for a filling and delicious dinner. Add some rice or salad on the side and you’ve got a complete meal sorted in no time.
One of the things that separates this recipe from the pack is the spice rub that goes on the chicken first. This is a simple blend, but it makes all the difference. The most flavorful ingredient in the mixture is paprika, which lends just a bit of depth and color to the chicken. I highly recommend this spice blend for poultry even if you aren’t making stuffed chicken breasts!
The filling is simple to make, but you’ll have an easier time blending it together if you make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature. For the broccoli you’ll need to cut the pieces fairly small, otherwise they won’t fit into the slits you make in the chicken breasts.
To make the pocket for the filling simply cut most (but not all of the way) down the center of each chicken breast lengthwise. To make this easier you can pinch the long edges together and then run a sharp knife across it.
To make sure I had the most real estate possible I got the biggest chicken breasts at the grocery. But, it can be a lot to finish in one sitting. So while this recipe makes 4 chicken breasts, the number of individual servings may vary based on the size of breasts you select at the store. I ended up cutting the leftover breasts in half for lunches!
Then you only need to bake these until the tops are golden and the safe internal temperature of 165˚F is reached.
I found this chicken to have just the right blend of salty and creamy flavors, enhanced by the garlic and paprika. You really can’t go wrong with this recipe.
Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken
Makes 4 chicken breasts
20m prep time
42m cook time
For the chicken:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Combine salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika in a small bowl. Rub chicken with 2 tablespoon olive oil then rub in spice mixture. Place on baking sheet or dish. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut a deep slit in the center of each chicken breast, but do not cut all the way through. Stuff each breast with some of the filling, heaping some onto the top of each one.
- Over medium-high heat sauté chicken in oven-safe skillet until browned on the outside, about 2 minutes on each side. Place skillet into oven (or transfer to baking dish if your skillet isn’t oven-safe) and bake for 25-35 minutes or until heated to an internal temperature of 165˚F.
Recipe adapted from Easy Chicken Recipes.