If you love coleslaw and chicken salad and our delicious broccoli salad, then you’ll love this tasty broccoli cauliflower salad as well! Traditional side dishes are great and nobody’s trying to get rid of them any time soon, but, as you know, it’s always nice to have other options in your back pocket in case you feel like switching things up. In this case, we threw in a new ingredient into the mix – cauliflower!
It adds great texture and a little extra crunch, plus its nice, mild flavor means it goes great with any ingredient you pair with it, so you get a well-rounded side dish that you’re able to pack tons of flavor into. In this case, we used cauliflower, broccoli, bacon, peas and celery as the base ingredients, then we threw together an easy dressing and called it a day. While you could always just use mayonnaise, we found we preferred a mix of mayo and greek yogurt, along with some honey and apple cider vinegar for a bit of added sweetness and flavor.
Once you’ve got your ingredients ready, you toss everything together and are good to go. Anytime we make a salad we like to give it time to refrigerate before serving. This is so that all the flavors have time to build and blend together. It may seem silly, but you should do a taste test; have a bite of salad right after you mix it, then let it chill for a while and come back to it after it’s been in the fridge for at least 30 minutes…the difference in flavor is crazy! Any way you make it though, you’ll be glad to have this recipe in your repertoire – it’s the perfect thing to spruce up any meal!
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
Serves 4-6; 15 minutes
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, honey, parmesan cheese and apple cider vinegar together. Then season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- In a large bowl, toss together broccoli and cauliflower florets, bacon, peas, celery, then pour dressing over the top.
- Toss again until everything is evenly coated, then refrigerate at least 15-20 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Chef In Training