For those of us who are not morning people, the breakfast casserole is somewhat of a godsend. It gives you a make-ahead option that feeds a crowd and the only morning task you have to complete is popping a baking dish in the oven. That’s something you might be able to handle even before your first cup of coffee! I love this particular breakfast bake because it brings you one of the morning greats in crowd-pleasing casserole form – the ever-lovable breakfast burrito. There’s no rolling or individual portions to worry about – just bake, slice, and serve up this meaty tortilla, green chile, egg, and chorizo bake!
To me, the best breakfast burrito filling out there is chorizo and eggs that have been scrambled with green chiles and that’s just what this casserole is based on. And cheese. Plenty of cheese.
There are twelve eggs in this casserole, but only half of them are scrambled. The rest are mixed with milk and poured over the top of the casserole to set everything together into sliceable form. It’s a layered affair – there’s flour tortillas on the bottom, then chorizo, scrambled eggs, salsa, and two kinds of cheese before you get to the final layer of tortillas.
A little more cheese (okay, a lot) tops thing off after the aforementioned egg mix and when it all comes out of the oven you have a sliceable, shareable version of a breakfast burrito. And I’m sure we can all agree that a breakfast burrito + an easy morning is a great combination.
Breakfast Burrito Casserole
15m prep time
35m cook time
- 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 12 eggs, divided
- 1 1/4 cups milk, divided
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet over high heat, brown sausage until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Remove from pan and drain fat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 6 of the eggs, 1/4 cup milk, green chiles, salt, and pepper.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat, and add egg mixture, scrambling them until just cooked.
- Add remaining eggs to mixing bowl, along with 1 cup milk and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer half of the tortillas in the bottom of the baking dish, then top with half of the cheeses. Top with half the salsa, then the scrambled eggs, sausage, green onion, and remaining salsa.
- Top with remaining flour tortillas, then pour the egg/milk mixture evenly over the top. Top with remaining cheese and bake 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!
- Note: To make ahead, refrigerate casserole just before the baking step up to overnight. Bake 5-10 minutes longer if chilled.
Recipe adapted from Dinner Then Dessert.