If you love bacon and you love s’mores then what could be better than having these two yummy tastes in the same bite? In this new era of snacking, when you can find bacon in just about anything from chocolate to waffles to milkshakes, it’s no surprise that bacon would also be a great fit with s’mores.
The salty, savory, crunchiness of the bacon is perfect with the soft, melty, sweetness of the s’mores toppings. If you’ve been looking for a novel dessert or snack then this one most definitely fits the bill.
You start this recipe by baking the bacon on a wire rack placed in a baking sheet to catch the drippings. This way you’re not spending a lot of time standing over the stove frying bacon.
Once the bacon is baked to crispy perfection it’s time for the toppings. By cutting the marshmallows into small pieces you can fit them on top of the bacon pieces and then bake them again for just 30 seconds or so until they’re melted.
The next step is to add the chocolate squares and do the same thing again. You will need to spread the melted chocolate around to ensure each bite has some in.
Finally the melty chocolate gets topped with the crushed graham crackers.
For the best balance of flavors you’ll want to start with a thick cut bacon. If the only thing you have on hand is thinner bacon slices then you might want to reduce the amount of toppings so that it isn’t too sweet.
This delicious treat is a decadent and hearty take on a confection that is sure to please all the bacon-lovers out there!
Makes 10-14 pieces
- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- 2 cups marshmallows
- 4 milk chocolate bars, broken into squares
- 1 1 /2 cup crushed graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 400°F and place rack in center of oven.
- Line baking sheet with foil and place a greased wire cooling rack on top.
- Bake bacon pieces in oven for 12-15 minutes and then flip them over to cook for another 10-13 minutes.
- Allow bacon to cool.
- Cut marshmallows into strips slightly narrower than the bacon pieces, about quarter inch size pieces.
- Place marshmallow pieces on bacon.
- With rack still in center of oven, turn on broiler and allow to bacon pieces to cook for 15-30 seconds, just until marshmallows are melted.
- Place chocolate pieces on top of bacon pieces and broil for another 5-10 seconds.
- Spread melted chocolate with butter knife and then sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top.
Recipe adapted from The Kitchen Whisperer.