Apple & Brie Stuffed Chicken. Doesn’t that sound like something you’d order off of a fancy menu in an upscale restaurant? Maybe that’s just me. I wasn’t introduced to the deliciousness that is brie cheese until a few years ago. I was more of a cheddar or Colby Jack kind of person, but boy, was I missing out! Brie is smooth and creamy and literally melts in your mouth. Add some apple to go along with this decadent cheese, and you’ve got yourself the perfect savory, sweet snack.
How about we make a meal out of that snack? At least, that was the thought behind this Apple & Brie Stuffed Chicken recipe! Let’s take a look at how easy this dish is to make. You’ll have dinner on the table in thirty minutes!
Start by butterflying the chicken breasts. In case you’re unfamiliar with that term in a cooking context, all it means is that you’ll cut the chicken breasts horizontally so they open up like a book and are still attached on one side. Sprinkle the inside with salt, pepper, and thyme, then top with a few apple and brie slices.
Next up, it’s time to make the sauce! It’s really just two ingredients – Dijon mustard and coarse ground mustard. Trust me on this one, the mustard paired with creamy brie and tart, slightly sweet green apple slices makes for an incredible combination!
Once you have the prep work complete, go ahead and close the chicken breasts and brush the tops with the mustard mixture. Heat some oil on a skillet and plop the chicken breasts in. You can close them up with a few toothpicks if you want, but if you’re careful of the filling, you should be able to get by without them.
To get the nice crispy outside, go ahead and turn up the heat to medium-high and sear the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side. Then, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Serve up with rice and/or a veggie side, and you’re good to go! This meal may sound fancy, but as you can see, it comes together in a snap!
Apple & Brie Stuffed Chicken
Makes 4 Chicken Breasts
15m prep time
15m cook time
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 green apple, thinly sliced (about 12 slices)
- 1/2 wheel of brie cheese, cut into slices (about 12 slices)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Butterfly the chicken breasts by cutting them horizontally so that they open up like a book and are attached on one side.
- Sprinkle insides of chicken breasts with salt, black pepper, and thyme. Top with apple slices and brie cheese slices, using about 3 slices of each for each chicken breast. Fold each chicken breast over to close it up.
- Mix together the mustards in a small bowl and brush half on the tops of the chicken breasts.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts, mustard side down in the pan, then brush the other side with remaining mustard mixture.
- Sear chicken breasts for 3-4 minutes on each side. (Careful of the filling!)
- After both sides are seared, cover the pan, reduce the heat to just under medium and cook about 5-8 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve hot with extra pan sauce spooned over top.
Recipe adapted from Family Food on the Table.