If you like most of your foods on the sweet side, then Amish Pasta Salad is the pasta salad for you. While there are many of the same ingredients you might find in a classic creamy pasta salad – mayo, celery, and the like – there are also a few others to make it extra special. It’s creamy, it’s crunchy, and it’s classically delicious.
While the main ingredient is pasta, there’s also hard-boiled eggs, celery, sweet onion, pimentos, and bell pepper so there’s plenty of crunch and plenty of flavor.
While you can certainly use macaroni here, shells have a little more of a substantial chew and have a way of catching all that delicious dressing.
Speaking of the dressing, the creamy base is made up of both mayo and sour cream that’s seasoned by garlic powder and celery seed. A touch of granulated sugar and sweet relish add some sweetness; it’s more than you might be used to in a pasta salad but it’s balanced by apple cider vinegar and mustard.
The end result is a pasta salad that’s quick to make but totally chock-full of ingredients that play off each other beautifully. There’s sweet and tangy, crunchy and chewy, zesty and cool going on here, but most importantly, every nook and cranny is coated in comforting creaminess.
Amish Pasta Salad
Serves 8; 15 minutes
- 1 (16 oz) package medium shell pasta
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 (2 oz) jar pimentos, drained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse and drain well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the relish, garlic powder, celery seed, mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, mustard, and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the pasta, eggs, celery, onion, pimentos and bell pepper and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and chill until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Southern Lady Cooks.