Tex Mex food has a special place on most American tables. The flavors are so familiar and comforting. But, it’s always nice to try a new take on something that’s both simple and extremely tasty. Enter: 7-can tortilla soup. With a mix of beans, veggies, chicken, and topped with crispy tortilla chips this soup has it all.
This soup is not only delicious, but also incredibly easy to throw together. In fact, you may already have all the ingredients on hand already! If you’re looking for a quick way to get a hearty supper on the table then this soup is a fantastic choice.
The ingredients for this soup are a can each of white kidney beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, sweet corn, canned chicken, green enchilada sauce, and low sodium chicken broth. To that you add a packet of taco seasoning, some cumin, some garlic powder, and some black pepper.
Once everything is combined in the pot then stir to combine and simmer for 30 minutes. Aside from checking that it doesn’t boil over and giving it a few stirs, you’re basically done with the soup after mixing it all together.
For the toppings on this soup tortilla chips are essential, but you can add whichever cheeses or fresh herbs you’d like. Or top with sour cream, sliced black olives, sliced avocado, or chopped tomatoes. The best way to serve this soup is to treat it like taco night and let everyone choose their own fixins to put on top.
For a special one-pot soup that the entire family will love try this 7-can tortilla soup on for size. Simple cooking never tasted so good!
7-Can Chicken Tortilla Soup
40m prep time
30m cook time
Gluten-Free diet suitable
- 1 15-oz can white kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15-oz can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 15-oz can sweet corn (drained)
- 1 12.5-oz can chicken breast (drained)
- 1 10-oz can green enchilada sauce
- 1 14-oz can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1-oz packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- Once canned goods have been drained (and rinsed in the case of the beans) combine all ingredients into a large stock pot set on medium-high.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with individual portions topped with a dollop of sour cream, some shredded cheese, some chopped cilantro, and a few tortilla chips.
Recipe adapted from Six Sisters’ Stuff.