Put the box mix aside, this stuff blows it out of the water!
Everyone loves macaroni and cheese, we can probably all agree on that…but we will say there are a variety of types of mac and cheese to choose from – cheeseburger mac and cheese, pesto mac and cheese, sausage mac and cheese, etc. – and some are better than others.
We’ve really run the gamut and aimed to try as many different mac and cheeses as possible, but this ridiculously creamy tortellini version might top them all. Packed full of caramelized onion and bacon, with a generous helping of velveeta for maximum smoothness (though you can use any cheese you like), this pasta is decadently delicious and we guarantee everyone you serve it to will rave about it. You can’t lose with this one!
Tortellini Mac and Cheese
- 1 (20 oz.) bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 (16 oz.) block Velveeta, cubed
- 6-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- olive oil, as needed
- parmesan cheese, grated, as needed
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat and cook onions, stirring frequently, until caramelized. 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the onions caramelize, bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to package instructions, or until al dente.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water, and return pasta to pot over medium-low heat.
- Gently stir in cubed Velveeta, heavy cream and butter, then season generously with salt and pepper, and add in nutmeg.
- Fold in caramelized onions and sprinkle in 1/2 crumbled bacon.
- Transfer to serving bowls and serve hot, garnished with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Bacon, Butter, Cheese & Garlic