On Thanksgiving Day, the side dishes are just as important as the turkey!
Thanksgiving dinner is as much about the turkey as it is about the side dishes. We’re all familiar with the standard sides of mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce, but there are many other delicious side dishes to serve alongside the turkey. This recipe by Rajee Pandi was submitted to our 2021 Family Favorites Thanksgiving Sides Recipe Contest. It’s a tomato, cauliflower, potato, and pea masala that looks savory and delicious.
Tomato Cauliflower Potato Peas Masala by Rajee Pandi
- 2 Russet potatoes (2 cups) peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into medium-sized florets
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste OR 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbs coriander
- 2 tbs oil
- ½ tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 tsp lime juice, to garnish
- Coriander (cilantro) leaves, some chopped for garnish
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds, red onion, chili pepper, and fry until they are translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste or minced garlic. Give it a stir till the raw smell disappears, about 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder. Sauté for a minute until it becomes mushy.
- Add the potatoes and give a good stir for 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets and peas and mix well.
- Now add the chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, and cumin powder. Add 1/4 cup water; mix well and make sure each piece is coated with the spices. Simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally as everything simmers. Add dried fenugreek leaves and mix well. The potatoes and cauliflower should be a little roasted and coated with flavor.
- Garnish with coriander (cilantro) leaves and fresh lime juice. Add salt, to taste.