We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: nothing’s better than a dinner that tastes great and that’s great for you! While it’s easy to get stuck in a rut cooking the same handful of dishes over and over, it’s just as easy to get carried away with cooking slightly less-than-healthy meals, just because they taste so good. Here, we’ve got a veggie-packed chicken dinner that everyone in your family will love, and that you can feel good serving them.
With chicken as the backbone of this dish, we pile on artichoke hearts, tomato, pesto and mozzarella cheese, along with plenty of herbs, to create a well-rounded, healthy and delicious meal. Trust us, make this once and you’ll be hooked, barely taking that last bite before wanting to make it again. It doesn’t get better than that!
Tomato Artichoke Bake
40 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 8 oz. package fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large roma tomato, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together artichoke, parmesan, garlic, tomato and fresh basil, then set aside.
- Season both sides of chicken generously with salt and pepper, then sprinkle dried basil, oregano and thyme over both sides of the meat.
- Place chicken in baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top each chicken breast with a spoonful of pesto, then with artichoke mixture, then cover with sliced mozzarella.
- Return to oven and bake for another 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. (If cheese is melting too quickly, cover with aluminum foil. If not quickly enough, place under the broiler for 2-4 minutes, or until melted.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil and more tomato, if desired, and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Julie's Album