Looking for a hearty meal? Give our Tex-Mex Lasagna a try!
Looking for a hearty meal? I’ve got just the thing! This Tex-Mex Lasagna is everything you love about regular lasagna, but with a bit of a unique and flavorful twist.
I won’t lie, this is one of my favorite recipes I’ve made recently. I mean, just look at that meaty, cheesy perfection! Topped with sour cream, avocados, and tomatoes? Yes, please! Trust me, the whole family will love this meal, and you’ll love how easy it is to throw together!
What’s the difference between Tex-Mex lasagna and regular lasagna, you ask? For starters, the meat sauce is a delicious mixture of tomato sauce, taco seasoning, and chopped green chilis. The other main difference is that the noodles are replaced by layers of corn tortillas. This is basically a taco in lasagna form, and I, for one, love it.
You’ll start by browning the hamburger and then mixing in taco seasoning, tomato sauce, seasoned salt, and green chilis. While that’s simmering, go ahead and combine cottage cheese and two eggs in a medium-sized bowl and set aside until ready.
When everything is set, it’s time to start the assembly process! Start with meat sauce, followed by half of the tortillas, half of the egg mixture, and half of each kind of shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes and then serve with your choice of toppings!
This really is quite simple to throw together at the end of a long day. What’s better than an easy meal that fills you up and has the family begging for seconds? Go ahead and check out the recipe below!
This hearty Tex-Mex Lasagna will fill you right up!
15 minutes to prepare, 1 hour cook time
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 12 small corn tortillas, torn
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2-3 cups tortilla chips broken into medium pieces
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 3 avocados cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 7x11 casserole dish and set aside.
- Brown the meat in a large skillet, then drain excess fat.
- Return meat to skillet and taco seasoning, seasoned salt, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chopped green chilies. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine eggs and cottage cheese in a small bowl, whisking until mixed.
- In the prepared casserole dish, layer half of the meat sauce, half of the tortillas, half of the egg mixture, and half of each kind of shredded cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let cool for 5 minutes before topping with tortilla chips, avocado chunks, diced tomato, and salsa. Serve up hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Best Blog Recipes.