All the flavors we love about Shepherd’s Pie, but with an autumn-y twist!
I don’t know about you, but when the cooler months of fall hit, I want something warm and filling for dinner. If that meal can have an autumn-y flavor to it, all the better! That’s where this Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie comes into play. This dish has all of the hearty ingredients we all love about the original, but with a little bit of a twist.
As you probably already guessed, that twist is sweet potatoes instead of regular mashed potatoes. Don’t get me wrong, I still love traditional Shepherd’s Pie, but I might be making this sweet potato version instead from now on. Yeah, it’s that good.
The prep work for this meal is a little more involved than some of our other dishes, but we’ve made some shortcuts to cut down on the time it takes to prepare. You’ll start by peeling and chopping the sweet potatoes. Place them in a large saucepan with just enough water to cover, and bring everything to a boil, cooking for about 10 minutes. Drain and mash the potatoes, adding salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Yes, using boxed mashed potatoes would be easier, but trust me on this one, mashing the sweet potatoes by hand is so worth the few minutes of extra effort! The rest of the recipe is a piece of cake. Or, you know, a piece of Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie.
Sauté onions and garlic, then add ground beef and cook until browned. Stir in tomato paste, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper, and beef broth. Let everything simmer for a few minutes until the liquid is reduced, then stir in frozen veggies. Once everything is heated up, spread the beef/veggie mixture into a baking dish and top with mashed sweet potatoes.
Bake at 375° for 25 minutes, then take out and let rest before serving. This meal is as hearty as it looks, and just as tasty, too! Check out the recipe and full ingredient list below.
Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Makes servings Prep 15m Cook 45m
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup mixed frozen veggies
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes)
- Drain and mash, then season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning blend.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add ground beef to skillet, cooking all the way through.
- Stir in tomato paste, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper, and broth. Simmer for a few minutes until the liquid is reduced, then stir in frozen veggies.
- Spread mixture into a 2-quart baking dish. Add mashed potatoes on top and spread evenly all the way to the sides.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Rest, then serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Healthy Fitness Meals.