This bake might not be anything fancy, but we can promise it is full of flavor. And it’s just the ticket when you’re looking for an easy and healthy weeknight meal. (And let’s be real, can you ever have too many easy weeknight recipes? Probably not. There’s always room for more.)
This is one of those great recipes you can always turn to when you just want something simple and satisfying. It makes great meal-prep for lunches, and as far as oven bakes go, it’s really simple to throw together. You don’t have to make any sauces as a binder… you don’t have to cook any rice as a filler, and there’s no precooking of the chicken. You just cube your ingredients and toss them in a simple marinade before baking them.
You whisk together some olive oil, garlic, and spices and toss the sweet potatoes in the mixture and let them sit while you cube the chicken. The sweet potatoes go into the oven, and you toss the chicken in the remaining oil mixture and let it marinate while the sweet potatoes get started cooking. From there, you simply toss the chicken together with the sweet potatoes and some parsley, top it all with a little bit of cheese, and pop the whole thing back into the oven. You don’t have to precook the chicken, you don’t have to remember to marinate something hours ahead of time, and before you know it, dinner is done!
Sweet Potato Chicken Bake
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup Gruyere or Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the olive oil, paprika, onion powder, cumin, and garlic. Season liberally with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add sweet potatoes to a medium bowl and coat with half of the oil mixture. Let sit for ten minutes, then transfer to baking dish and cook for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.
- Meanwhile, add cubed chicken to the bowl and coat with remaining oil mixture. Let sit while sweet potatoes cook.
- Remove dish from oven and stir in chicken and parsley. Top with cheese and bake until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Adapted from Work Hard Weigh Less.