During the summer months, we filled our bowls with chilis and ice creams. Now that it’s fall, we’re working on filling our bowls with creamy, hearty, rich and delicious soups and stews. One soup we plan on making quite a bit is one of our favorites, a super cheesy, creamy, and chunky potato soup. There’s hardly any other way to describe this soup than amazing. A pot of this simmering on the stovetop is a great way to end any day, especially one filled with crisp and cool fall weather. We’re ready to grab a bowl and chase away that fall chill.
A soup like this is super easy to make, almost too simple! We’ve cooked the bacon and peeled potatoes, which is a great project for kiddos who want to be involved in the kitchen. Once those are done, the hard part is over and the pot does the rest of the work. Yellow onions that are sautéed in butter help to start the layers of flavor in our potato soup. We add more layers of flavor with vegetable stock (feel free to use chicken if you have it on hand) and milk. Cheese always makes food taste better, so the Colby Jack and cream cheese are an important part of what makes this dish so creamy and hearty.
We love the chunkiness that comes from the diced potatoes; it gives the soup so much substance and great texture. And, just because, we decided to toss in a cup of frozen peas. Then, of course, we top all of this creamy, chunky, cheesy potato soup with nice bits of salty bacon and slices of green onion for a peppery bite of freshness and a pop color. Everything about this soup is just what we’re looking for during these cold fall and winter months. It’s hearty, rich, and most importantly, it’s warm and comforting. One bowl of this soup will do wonders to the soul, especially on a rainy and windy fall day.
Cheesy Potato Soup
1 hour to prepare serves 6
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 ½ cup Colby Jack cheese, shredded and divided
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large saucepan to medium-high. Add butter and onion, and sauté until translucent. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Add flour and stir until absorbed. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and stir frequently, 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer until potatoes are just tender. Add cream cheese and milk and 1 cup Colby Jack cheese. Cook on low heat, stirring often, until soup is creamy and potatoes are thoroughly cooked. In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, add 1 cup frozen peas and more salt and pepper, to taste. Soup is ready once peas have heated through.
- To serve, ladle soup into a bowl. Top with chopped bacon, green onion, and reserved cheese.
Recipe adapted from Sue Bee Homemaker.