When it comes to finding the perfect, easy, delicious, beautiful summer dessert, consider your prayers answered. This strawberry slab pie looks like a jewel-studded stunner and it taste as good as it looks, if not better! Isn’t that great that something so pretty and impressive-looking is actually a breeze to make? You’ll need strawberries, a package of refrigerated pie crust, strawberry jello and some sprite, along with a couple other things, and then you can hit the ground running!
Let’s tackle the pie crust first. You’re going to want to stack the two discs of dough one on top of the other, then roll them out into a large rectangle, roughly 12×17 inches, so that it’s a bit bigger than the jelly roll baking sheet you’ll be using (which is around 10×15 inches). Once that gets put in place – be careful, it’s pretty thin at this point – you’ll want to bake that so it doesn’t absorb the liquid from the jello. We don’t want any soggy pie crust here. Set that aside to cool, then whip up your jello mixture.
Strawberry jello, sugar and cornstarch, combined with sprite, all come together to make a nice, thick gelatinous mixture that gets poured over your strawberries. You’ll know it’s ready when it comes to a boil and goes from being an opaque pinkish-red to a translucent deep pink. Let it set up in the fridge and then all that’s left to do is slice it and dig in! This beauty is a total show stopper…and we’ll let people think it was complicated, but no one needs to know just how easy it really is!
Strawberry Slab Pie
30 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive to prepare serves 16-20
- 1 (11 oz.) package refrigerated pie crust
- 32 oz. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 1/2 cups lemon lime soda (we used sprite)
- 6 oz. strawberry jello
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- frozen whipped topping or whipped cream, garnish
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Turn both pie crusts out on a lightly floured surface and stack one on top of the other. Roll them out to roughly a 12x17-inch rectangle, then transfer crust to a large baking sheet (10x15-inches).
- Tuck any excess crust under itself, then crimp edges as desired, pricking the bottom and sides all over with a fork.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 9-11 minutes, or until golden brown, then remove from oven and let cool.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk together jello packet, sugar and cornstarch, then pour in sprite and lemon juice.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring until thickened, then remove from heat and let cool 10-15 minutes.
- Once crust has cooled, arrange sliced strawberries on top, then pour (cooled) filling carefully on top.
- Refrigerate slab pie for 2+ hours, or until set, then slice, serve and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Miss In The Kitchen