You’ll want some crusty bread to dip into this stuff!
You could be the most ardent veggie hater in the world and we’re pretty positive you’ll fall head over heels after you take the first bite. This soup is based off of our favorite, classic dip, cheesy spinach and artichoke dip. Oh man, you could have an epic spread of appetizers and dips laid out in front of us and we would make a beeline for the spinach and artichoke dip every time – every time! There’s something about the creaminess from the cheese, the brightness from the lemon and spinach, and the bite and tang from the artichokes and garlic…it’s just so good!
So, are you wondering how we turned this dip into a soup, all while keeping it just as rich and thick and creamy as the spread? Check it out, we threw in all the stuff you would imagine, spinach and artichokes, naturally, onion, garlic, lemon juice and cayenne – gotta have it for just a little bit of kick – then it comes down to four cups of chicken or vegetable broth (not too much that it becomes watery though), one and a half cups of heavy cream, a block of cream cheese and one cup of parmesan cheese. Seriously, this soup is jam-packed with flavor and is basically the ultimate creamy soup to have on rotation this fall and winter.
If all this hasn’t hooked you on how great this stuff is, don’t fret, we can continue singing its praise. This is easily one of the best soups we’ve made recently and instantly earned its spot in our recipe repertoire. It’s full of veggies – and a fair amount of cheese and cream – and it tastes absolutely incredible. It’s definitely not one to be skipped, you’ll see!
Spinach and Artichoke Soup
Serves 6-8; 30 minutes
- 1 (9 oz.) package frozen spinach
- 1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature, cubed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra for garnish
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in a large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat and sauté onion until softened. 6-8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, then add spinach and cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until wilted.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and cayenne, then sprinkle in all-purpose flour, stirring until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour in lemon juice and chicken broth, then add chopped artichokes and bay leaf. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and cream cheese cubes, then stir until cream cheese is melted and soup is smooth, then stir in parmesan cheese.
- Once melted and incorporated, transfer soup to serving bowls and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Modern Honey