Special Delivery Chicken is aptly named. It’s just the kind of creamy, easy-to-make casserole that you’d want to bring to new parents or anyone that needs a little cooked comfort in their life. The recipe comes from an old edition of Taste of Home magazine and features cubed chicken nestled in a creamy sauce that’s flecked with poppy seeds and finished off with a buttery, crunchy cracker topping. In other words, it’s really darn good… the kind of timelessly delicious hot dish that you end up making over and over again (for yourself as much as anyone else who might need a comfort food delivery).
The sauce begins with one of those retro casserole mainstays – condensed cream of chicken soup – but you can’t argue with the fact that there are some places where a cream of ‘whatever’ soup just works. This is one of them. That’s mixed with some sour cream for extra creaminess and also poppy seeds, which lend that delicate and slightly sweet pop that only poppy seeds can.
The next step is to fold in some chopped, cooked chicken. It’s a great use for leftover rotisserie chicken or a good reason to throw on a couple of extra chicken breasts the next time you’ve got the grill fired up. But that’s pretty much as difficult as this gets… Chopping up some cooked chicken, stirring together the ingredients for the sauce, and putting together the topping.
And ohhhhh, that topping. As all good casserole toppings should be, it’s savory and crunchy and provides a crisp contrast to the creaminess below. This one is made up of butter-flavored crackers (think Ritz) that are crushed up and mixed with a little more butter. Because the only thing better than butter is more butter, am I right? I might be, but in this case, the extra butter helps the crackers get nice and crispy and golden brown in the oven.
Special Delivery Chicken
Serves 4; 30 minutes
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 3/4 cups butter-flavored crackers, crushed (about 36 crackers)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 7x11-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, condensed soup, and poppy seeds. Stir in the chicken and pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cracker crumbs and butter and sprinkle evenly over the chicken mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe from Taste of Home.