It can be so easy to resort to something store-bought when it comes to any given meal, especially if it seems like it incorporates ingredients or flavors that you’re not as familiar with preparing. In this case, we’re talking about turning to and picking up a package of Spanish rice in the international section of the grocery store; yes, it’s convenient to make, but did you know it’s actually super easy to whip up a (way more flavorful) batch of Spanish rice yourself?
It’s true! If it’s taco night in your house, skip the pre-fab rice package, ‘cause all you need are four easy ingredients to add to your typical rice prep that will totally transform your side dish. The first thing you’re going to want to do is use chicken stock to cook your rice; trust us, it adds way more flavor than water. After that, all you need are tomato sauce, green chiles and taco seasoning…and that’s it!
The tomato sauce is what gives this rice its red coloring, the green chiles add a little heat (depending on how much you like) and the taco seasoning just kicks things up a notch and adds more depth of flavor to the dish overall. Really, there’s no reason not to make this stuff from scratch, since it tastes way better that way and barely takes any effort – you won’t regret it!
20 minutes to prepare serves 2-4
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chiles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a medium or large saucepan over medium-high heat and pour in rice.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is lightly toasted, but not burned.
- Pour in chicken stock, tomato sauce, green chiles and taco seasoning, and stir everything together and bring mixture up to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover rice, reduce heat to low and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until rice has absorbed all liquid and is al dente.
- Uncover rice and fluff with a fork, returning mixture to heat if there is any liquid left in the bottom of saucepan.
Recipe adapted from Food Love