The party dessert table just got a whole lot better.
For a get together it’s hard to know which sweets to make. Cookies can be dry, and cakes take a lot of effort to bake and then frost. But, a sweet cheeseball can be quite the tasty solution. It does take some planning, but no heating up the oven or the stovetop. Plus you can make the base well ahead of time then finish the cheese ball just before it needs to be served.
Unlike roasted s’mores there is no toasted marshmallow here. But, this cheese ball has a cream cheese base which more than makes up for that. The rich and slightly tart flavor of the cream cheese adds a smoothness to this shareable dessert that makes it a family favorite.
To make the ball you’ll need to combine softened cream cheese with some powdered sugar and marshmallow fluff. Then fold in some mini chocolate chips. I do not recommend using regular size chips as they can be hard to crunch down on. The minis, however, are great for this recipe since they melt in your mouth easily.
Let the cheese ball cool for 30 minutes after you form it so that it doesn’t lose its shape. While it’s cooling you can work on the toppings.
You’ll need to make some graham cracker crumbs for this and the quickest way is to put some crackers in a baggie then gently crush them with a rolling pin. Breaking them by hand yields chunks that are too big, so you want smaller pieces here.
Lay your toppings out on a plate and roll the cheese ball around to evenly coat. You can use mini marshmallows or marshmallow bits (my local grocery didn’t have the latter).
Then serve this dessert/snack with some individual graham crackers and watch it do a magic disappearing act at your next gathering!
S’mores Marshmallow Cheese Ball
50m prep time
For the cheese ball:
- 2 (8 oz) packages regular cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup marshmallow bits or mini marshmallows
- 1 (14 oz) box graham crackers
- In a large bowl use an electric mixer to blend cream cheese, sugar, marshmallow fluff, vanilla, and salt until completely smooth. Fold in 2/3 cup chocolate chips and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a large plate combine remaining chocolate chips with cup mini marshmallows and 1/3 cup crushed graham crackers. Roll chilled cheese into a ball. Roll in topping mixture and set on serving plate. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Break remaining graham crackers into singles and serve alongside cheese ball for dipping.
Recipe adapted from Delish.