One of the best dishes in Tex-Mex cuisine has got to be enchiladas. The rich sauce, topped with gooey cheese, is a real family favorite. But, did you know that you can easily make an enchilada stack using your slow cooker? That’s right- simply arrange the layers, set the dial, and come back to a piping hot enchilada dinner with minimal fuss.
This is a great dish to make if you need the oven for other dishes (we’re looking at you, dessert) or if you don’t want to heat up the house. But, making this recipe in your Crock Pot means you can also get dinner on the table even on busy days when you simply don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
Serve this enchilada casserole with sour cream and a salad and you’re good to go. It couldn’t be simpler to make a meal that everyone will enjoy.
To start with you combine half a can of enchilada sauce with beans, corn, and shredded chicken and toss together in a large bowl. Next pour half of the remaining sauce into the bottom of your slow cooker. Cover with a tortilla, then a layer of the chicken mixture, followed by a layer of cheese. Repeat with this sequence of layers until all the chicken and tortillas have been used.
Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top and add some sliced black olives. Set the slow cooker to high for 1 1/2 hours. Or you can set it to low for 5 hours if you prefer.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of cilantro if you like. This is truly one of the easiest and tastiest slow cooker recipes we’ve made. Try this one the next time you’re short on time but want a hearty dinner.
Slow Cooker Enchilada Casserole
15m prep time
1h 30m cook time
- 1 15-oz can enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained
- 1 cup corn kernels (canned and drained or frozen)
- 8 ounces cooked, shredded chicken (about 2 breasts or thighs)
- 6 8-inch corn or flour tortillas
- 12 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- In a large bowl pour half the enchilada sauce, beans, corn, and chicken and toss to combine.
- Pour half the remaining sauce into slow cooker and spread evenly. Lay down one tortilla over the sauce.
- Spread a large spoonful of the chicken and bean mixture over the tortilla. Then sprinkle with cheese. Repeat process as follows: tortilla, chicken, cheese- until all tortillas have been used.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and a handful of cheese. Sprinkle with black olives. Cook on high for 1 1/2 hours (or on low for 5 hours). Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, or other toppings if desired.
Recipe adapted from Self Proclaimed Foodie.