Make one batch of this and you’re good to go for the rest of the week!
Do you ever eat a dish that’s so flavorful you feel you could never recreate it with just the standard spices you’ve got in your pantry? We’ve all been there before, dejectedly feeling like maybe some of our dishes are just destined to be bland, but that’s ridiculous! With enough flavorful ingredients and some commitment to being zealous with your spices, all your meals can be flavorful and delicious – just like this (slow cooker!) Cuban shredded beef we made the other night.
If you want a tasty, versatile dish that you can make on the weekend and then just keep eating throughout the week, look no further. This shredded beef has tons of flavor, thinks to lots of garlic, green chiles, vinegar, cumin and oregano, and you could just as well stuff it into tacos or burritos as eat it on its own…it’s just that good! To top it all off, this is a slow cooker recipe, so you don’t need to stress about dinner after a busy day; pop everything in the slow cooker in the morning, then come home to a tender, juicy meal that’ll have you drooling and going back for seconds (and thirds)!
Cuban Shredded Beef
Serves 6; 15 minutes active; 4+ hours inactive
- 1 1/2-2 pound beef chuck roast or flank steak
- 6 cloves garlic, 3 whole and 3 minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chiles
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- fresh cilantro, garnish
- white rice and black beans, garnish
- Pat beef dry, then use a small paring knife to make 3 cuts deep into the meat. Insert 1 whole garlic clove into each cut.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet and brown meat on all sides. Remove from heat and transfer to slow cooker.
- Place tomato sauce, green chiles, bell pepper and onion on top of browned beef and stir together, then add in tomato paste, white vinegar, cumin, oregano, salt and red pepper flakes to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 7-8, until meat is tender and falls apart easily.
- Shred beef with two forks, then serve with rice and beans. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Little Spice Jar