While different varieties of chili feature heavily in our lunch and dinner rotation, we were shocked (SHOCKED) when we realized there was one version we hadn’t thought to try before. When we realized there was one ingredient that had always been missing from our hearty, beefy stews we could have kicked ourselves. For self-proclaimed cream cheese lovers to not have added it to all their many iterations of chili?? It just seemed wrong…so we immediately rectified it by whipping up a batch of this slow cooker cream cheese chicken chili and boy did we feel good about it.
If you’re currently in the same boat that we used to be in – read: if you don’t know the joys of adding cream cheese to your chili – then grab a pen or pencil and get ready to be amazed. One of the reasons we love and turn to chili so frequently is that it’s easy, hearty and delicious. Plus, it’s almost impossible to mess up making it, which is always a bonus, but now it’s even better than before! Chicken breasts go into the slow cooker (to be shredded later), then in go the tomatoes and peppers, corn and black beans. Those ingredients make up the base of the dish and really make it filling, then it’s just a matter of seasoning…don’t skimp here, you want as much flavor as possible!
Which is why we start with dry ranch seasoning mix, then go ahead and add in chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powders, and paprika. We’re not skimping and neither should you! You can stir everything together here to make sure all that flavor gets distributed, then on top of all of that goes your cream cheese. Everything cooks low and slow, and after a couple hours you’ll shred the chicken and stir the whole thing together into a mash of amazingness. Whatever you decide to serve this with (rice, cornbread, garlic bread, etc.) you’ve got yourself a tasty main dish that will fill you up and keep you full – you might not go back to your old way of making chili!
Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
10 minutes active; 3+ hours inactive to prepare serves 6
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can fire-roasted tomatoes and green peppers
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can whole corn kernels, undrained
- 1 (10. 75 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (1 oz.) packet dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- rice or cornbread, garnish, optional
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes, corn and black beans, then season with ranch mix, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika.
- Place softened cream cheese on top of mixture, then cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3.
- 20 minutes before serving, stir everything together, until cream cheese is smooth and incorporated. Remove and shred chicken with two forks.
- Serve hot with rice or cornbread.
Recipe adapted from Unoriginal Mom