We kept going back for more of this throughout the week – it’s the perfect thing to make for lunch or dinner!
It’s so easy to fall back on tasty takeout options when it comes to Mexican food, but it’s just as easy (and more affordable) to make it yourself. The key is knowing how to prepare it easily and in a way that complements what you’re cooking, so you get the most flavorful results basically without having to lift a finger! When tacos were first thrown out there as a dinner option last week, we couldn’t resist and knew we wanted to whip something up that was easy and absolutely amazing and, dare we say, even better than takeout.
We had chicken breasts in our fridge and knew that cooking them low and slow would be the way to go, so that we’d end up with the most tender chicken possible…and we were right, the end result was amazing! So, to whip up these bad boys, all you have to do is season your chicken and toss it in the slow cooker. Cover it up with salsa, taco seasoning, lime juice and cilantro, then let it cook for a couple of hours. Shred it all at the end and you’ve got a ridiculously tasty filling that you can dress up any way you see fit.
We made some amazing Spanish rice to go along with this dinner, then got some refried beans and went to town with our tacos. Everyone in your family will love this, since they can then make their own tacos however they like, but the cilantro lime chicken steals the show…we need to go grab some leftovers just thinking about it!
Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
20 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa, mild or hot
- 1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- Season chicken breasts with chili powder, if using, then place in slow cooker.
- Top with taco seasoning and lime juice, then spread salsa over everything and sprinkle cilantro over the top.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Optional: transfer chicken breasts to a separate plate and use two forks to shred into pieces. Place shredded chicken in a large bowl and scoop 2-3 spoonfuls of cooking liquids into bowl until chicken is moistened.
- Serve hot with tortillas, fresh cilantro and desired garnishes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Belle Of The Kitchen