Scalloped potatoes are an all time favorite dish in my family and for good reason. The creamy sauce pairs perfectly with the thinly sliced potatoes and the cheese. But, there’s something a little special about using a sheet pan instead of a deeper casserole dish for scalloped potatoes. It means that the best part of scalloped potatoes -the crispy edges and top- is all over the entire dish. If you’re someone who can’t get enough of the crispy burnt cheese on pizza crusts or those wonderful parmesan cheese “cookies” then this is the scalloped potato recipe for you.
To start with you’ll need to (carefully) use a mandoline to slice the potatoes very thinly. You can also do this by hand, it’ll just take longer and the potato slices will be a little bit thicker than if you had used the mandoline.
Once you’ve got the potatoes sliced you’ll lay them out on a sheet pan, each row slightly overlapping the last row, creating a lovely pattern. Then sprinkle with salt and half the parmesan cheese before repeating the process for a second layer of potatoes.
Then you’ll work on the sauce. This creamy sauce is made with heavy whipping cream, garlic, and thyme for a delectable flavor. Bring up to a simmer and then remove from heat.
When the sauce is ready you pour it over the potatoes. Then cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove pan from oven and top with the rest of the parmesan cheese and the shredded Gruyere cheese. You can use shredded Swiss cheese instead if you prefer or if Gruyere isn’t available at your grocery.
Then bake the whole thing uncovered for another 15-22 minutes, until just the right level of crisping has occurred around the edges. The end result is the prefect combination of creamy in the middle with a crusty, cheesy top that’s incredibly satisfying.
Sheet Pan Scalloped Potatoes
20m prep time
35m cook time
Vegetarian diet suitable
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, for greasing pan
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed (about 8)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (4 1/2 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450˚. Grease an 18-by-13-inch sheet pan and set aside.
- Over medium heat bring cream, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper to a simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Use a mandoline to slice the potatoes thinly, or chop by hand into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Lay out potato slices on sheet pan in rows, slightly overlapping each other.
- Sprinkle with salt and half the parmesan cheese. Create a second layer of potatoes on top of the first. Gently pour cream mixture over the potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Remove from oven and remove foil. Top with the rest of the cheeses and bake uncovered an additional 15-22 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Recipe adapted from Food Network.