Who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese? We personally like to line our slices of bread with a bit of mayo for a little extra (still subtle) flavor, but that wasn’t the kind of grilled cheese we found ourselves pining after the other day. No, we found ourselves hoping for something a little more decadent and indulgent.
Gone are the buttery, toasted pieces of bread that sandwich the cheese, replaced with…tater tots. Not only that, but instead of grilling our sammie in a frying pan or panini press, we decided to use a waffle iron. If you love potatoes or cheese or bacon – because, of course we added bacon – then this sandwich is absolutely for you.
Pull out and dust off the waffle iron for a new take on a grilled cheese that you won’t want to share. For a kick of heat, add in a sprinkling of jalapeños, and don’t skip that bacon! You’ll love the flavor packed into this delicious sandwich.
Tater Tot Waffle Grilled Cheese
- 2 pounds frozen tater tots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4-6 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 large jalapeño, seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat waffle iron to high.
- Cook tater tots for 3-4 minutes in the microwave, or until soft.
- Create an even layer with the tater tots in the waffle iron, making sure to pack them in to fit as many as you can. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Close the iron, cooking the tater tots until crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the waffle to a cooling rack, then make another waffle in the same method, with the remaining tater tots and salt.
- Once the second waffle is done, leave it in the waffle iron, and evenly sprinkle half the cheese, bacon, and jalapeño on top.
- Add the remaining cheese, then replace the first waffle on top. Close the waffle iron carefully, but don’t squish it down too much. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese melts, then remove to a plate.
- Cut up into quarters and enjoy!