Our love affair with that French onion flavor of course began with the soup… but it was really the dip that transformed it into true love. Honestly, if we could carry that flavor over to every type of dish, we’d probably go for it. Well… maybe not every type of dish, but it certainly works in this easy casserole that’s all kinds of creamy and comforting.
You probably know by now that we’re all about quick casseroles, and this is the embodiment of all that we love about them. Here’s what we’ve got going on:
You cook up some instant white rice, which takes all of five minutes, and fold it together with some cooked chicken, cheddar cheese, chicken broth, French onion dip (YES!), and… is that a can of soup? Yes, that’s cream of chicken soup, and yes, sometimes it has its place. Because really there’s just nothing like it. And that’s okay.
And then, you guys, then you sprinkle these crunchy babies all over the top. Because what’s better than those little crispy-crunchy fried onions? Not much.
You pop the whole thing in the oven and bake it until it’s bubbly and ooey-gooey (which luckily only takes about twenty minutes) and you’ve got one incredibly tasty hot dish on the table. And it’s one that always goes quick. Just look at all that onion crispiness on top. Who can resist?
French Onion Casserole
- 2 cups instant white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 8 ounces French onion dip
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup French's fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add instant rice, cover and turn off heat. Allow to stand until all water is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, chicken soup, French onion dip, cheddar cheese, chicken broth, and cooked rice. Spread into prepared pan and top evenly with fried onions.
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!