The name of this delicious snack might have you doing a double take… Armadillo Eggs?! But really there aren’t eggs in these at all. We don’t know where they got their name, but we do know they are soooo good. And with only four ingredients, they’re a simple snack to whip up. They’re sure to be a hit at your next BBQ and we can bet your friends haven’t eaten an armadillo egg before!
All you need are some jalapenos, goat cheese, Italian sausage, and bacon to make this for dinner tonight. The creamy goat cheese is the perfect addition to the mild heat of the jalapeno, and who doesn’t love bacon? Cream cheese would work great too if goat cheese just isn’t your thing. These make a great appetizer or main dish, just plan to make at least one egg for each person eating – once you give these a try, you won’t want to share!
Serves 4 40 minutes
- 4 jalapenos, cored and seeded
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb bacon
- Preheat one side of grill to 300°F.
- Pack each jalapeno with goat cheese, then divide the sausage into 4 equal patties. Press a jalapeno into the center of a patty and close the sausage around the pepper.
- Wrap one or two slices of bacon tightly around the sausage. Repeat steps until all "eggs" are wrapped in bacon.
- Place wrapped "eggs" on the grill away from the heat to cool indirectly for 30 minutes. Enjoy!