While we’ll always be completely addicted to traditional French fries, that doesn’t mean we can’t take a detour to ingest and obsess over a totally new twist on the classic fry concept. Bear with us a minute. What we’ve come to love about the structure of a fry – and subsequently recreated with sweet potato fries, mozzarella sticks, zucchini sticks and anything we can make long and stick-y – we’ve also come to see can be just as easily adapted towards something sweeter. Like these caramel apple fries!
Yup, we did it. We cut ‘em up into slices (although you could make them matchstick-shaped), dipped them in a buttermilk batter, then dredged and fried them up! The result is a perfectly golden brown “fry” with sweet apple on the inside…which you should then promptly dip into the caramel cream cheese dip that accompanies the fries. You don’t even know how yummy these are!! Whether it’s for a snack or dessert or really just any time you want a tasty new spin on a classic, try these out and see how much you love them.
25 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 12 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (8 oz.) package frozen whipped topping
- 10 oz. caramel sauce
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-3 gala apples, sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine cream cheese, frozen whipped topping and caramel sauce in a large bowl, and beat together until smooth and fully incorporated. Set aside until ready to use.
- Whisk together buttermilk and sugar in a large bowl.
- Heat 1-inch vegetable or canola oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Oil should be shimmering and sizzle when water is sprinkled in it.
- Add sliced apples and toss until fully covered, then set aside.
- Place flour in a medium bowl, then, working one at a time, dredge apple slices until fully coated.
- Transfer apples to hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until browned and crispy, then place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Whisk together sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle over apple fries. Serve hot!